Maria Konnikova

Welcome to my blog. I'll do my best to update it regularly (or semi-regularly, at the least...) with news, writing updates, and other assorted thoughts. Read, enjoy, and please share your thoughts and comments. If you're looking for psychology pieces at the New Yorker, you can find them here. If you're looking for my old blog about literature and psychology, Literally Psyched, you can find it here.

Hour glass illustration

US Publication Day is here!

January 3, 2013

Today is the official US Publication Day for MASTERMIND! Cue the excitement.

To mark the date, a few things: first, a look back at my first ever Holmes piece for Scientific American. Then, an excerpt from the book over at Reuters. And finally, a new essay on the journey that led to MASTERMIND for Slate. Happy reading!

And I would love to hear your thoughts on the book. Like it? Hate it? Please share a review on Amazon. I would greatly appreciate it.

6 Comments

1. Souzou no
    Posted January 4, 2013 at 6:09 am | Permalink

I had been practicing what I termed “internal emotional adjustments” for many years. Then about six years ago I deviated and began to notice a spiral into an emotionally unbalanced state not previuosly experienced. I began to crave “quiet”, “stillness”. Not so suddenly, I realized what I was craving so deeply was a return to my “internal emotional adjustments”. All I do during those periods is to withdraw within my mind, still all thought, and allow all negative impulses to quiet dow. I look forward to your book. It will help with my adjustments.

• Posted January 14, 2013 at 10:54 pm | Permalink

Thank you, Souzou! It’s great to hear about your experience with mindfulness.

2. Posted January 10, 2013 at 7:16 pm | Permalink

This is a great, great read — fascinating and inspiring. I have read the Sherlock Holmes stories since I was very little, and I always wished I could develop a Holmesian intellect. This book gave me a clear road-map for how to do that.

Thank you for your wonderful insights, and I look forward to reading any future work you have!

Mark Blasini

• Posted January 14, 2013 at 10:54 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much, Mark! I really appreciate your comments and am so happy to hear that you enjoyed the book.

3. eric s
    Posted January 14, 2013 at 10:52 pm | Permalink

I’m a huge fan of Sherlock Holmes and just stumbled across your site. I’d love to go to a reading, please plan on coming to Los Angeles in 2013!

• Posted January 14, 2013 at 10:53 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Eric! And I’d love to do something in LA. Talk to my publicist ;). Maybe if there’s enough interest, the publisher will agree that it’s a good idea! Or not…