Maria Konnikova

Welcome to my blog. I'll do my best to update it regularly (or semi-regularly, at the least...) with news, writing updates, and other assorted thoughts. Read, enjoy, and please share your thoughts and comments. If you're looking for psychology pieces at the New Yorker, you can find them here. If you're looking for my old blog about literature and psychology, Literally Psyched, you can find it here.

Hour glass illustration

Brain World interview

December 12, 2012

A few months back, I did an interview with BrainWorld Magazine’s Julie Hare. It appears in the winter issue–and even though it’s not currently online, you can read it here. Brain World – Mastermind.

I hope you enjoy it. I’m getting excited for publication. Only a few weeks to go!

7 Comments

1. andres
    Posted December 17, 2012 at 1:19 am | Permalink

Hi dear Maria.I just read your article in N.Y.T about mindfulness and it is very interesting.
    I discovered that with my eyes closed or in the darkness ,sometimes I could see better the maths. I would love to read your book about Holmes´ method, but I don’t know when it will arrive to Colombia.
    Best wishes for you.
    Ps: You have an adorable website.

2. Posted December 18, 2012 at 4:05 am | Permalink

Just read your article in NY Times. I learned to meditate 20 years ago, and have been practicing off and on since then. Reading articles like yours helps me to stay motivated. It also helps me develop better training materials for our managers at the university. Thanks.

(also, I agree with andres. Your website has a beautiful design.)

• Posted June 10, 2014 at 7:23 pm | Permalink

Thank you, Gale! That is wonderful to know. And I’m glad you like the website!

3. Lena Kolobakhina
    Posted June 8, 2014 at 8:18 pm | Permalink

Dear Maria, thank you so very much for your creation! I’ve read the “Mastermind” twice: first time just as a novel, and second time as a textbook with a pencil. From now on I will use the “Mastermind” quite often to consult how Sherlock Holmes used his brain attic. It’s amazing how this civilization works! There was a series of interviews on neuroscience online last year. You were among the interviewees. After I learned how your parents immigrated from Moscow, how your dad read you the Sherlock Holmes book, and what is in your book it became absolutely necessary for me to read the “Mastermind”. My husband and I immigrated from Leningrad at the beginning of the 90-s of the last century. The main reason was our only 4-year old daughter. Thanks again for your creation and, please, thank your parents for me! From ex-Russian with love, Lena.

• Posted June 10, 2014 at 7:21 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much, Lena. That’s wonderful to hear. I’m so happy you enjoyed the book and talks and am thrilled to connect with a fellow ex-Russian.

4. Roger DeBeers, Sr.
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

I liked your book. I think a course should be developed from the book. I have talked to my 15-year-old son about Mastermind. I am a single parent and have sole legal and physical custody for the past 8-years. I use your book along with other materials to help me guide my musically gifted son.

• Posted June 10, 2014 at 7:22 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much, Roger. What a lovely thing for you to say. I hope your son enjoys the book and keeps developing his musical abilities. Thank you for reading!